Brief History

The Bunkers Conservation Reserve is a Private Reserve situated within the traditional lands of the Adnyamathanha aboriginal people.  It is approximately 140 square kilometres in area and takes in some of the most rugged country of the Flinders Ranges.  Some features include Loves Mine Range, Mount Caernarvon (921 metres high) and The Bunkers Range.

Since the 1850ís the property formed part of various pastoral leases and in 1956 came under the control of the Reynolds family as part of Willow Springs Station.  In 1993, in support of the National Parks and Wildlife SA Bounceback Program in the Flinders Ranges, the Reynolds family authorised the removal of feral goats from the Bunkers area.  Feral goats were the main herbivorous competitors in the area to the rare Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby.

Over several years, as the removal of the feral goats progressed, the volunteers involved in the Bounceback Program became familiar with this spectacular and rugged area, noting many interesting features including the remnants of a Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby colony.  Interest developed into commitment resulting in the creation of a preservation group with the intent of purchasing property for the protection of native vegetation and wildlife.  This group founded the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Preservation Association Inc in 1997 in order to re-establish the colony in the Bunkers area.

Following approval of funding assistance to the Association for the purchase of the Bunkers Block from the Reynolds family by the Natural Heritage Trust in 1999, the purchase was completed in 2001 and the Bunkers Conservation Reserve was gazetted.  The Federal Minister for Environment, Hon Robert Hill, officially opened the Reserve on 4th October 2001.